When your chips are down…

So, what do you do when both you and your baby have been struck down with a v&d virus?

So, the past three days have been a complete write off due to both Annie and I suffering with a virus.

I’m a proud person and hate to admit to people I can’t cope, but this weekend I’ve had no choice but to rally the troops and ask for help. Because I’ve had the most severe nausea and I’ve quite literally not been physically able to parent by myself. Yesterday,  before I was struck down, I felt completely overwhelmed with Annie being so sick and thankfully my friends were kind enough to come over and support me through it. It felt humbling and I felt incredibly grateful to have friends that would drop everything and come to my aid in my hour of need. Being stuck in the house all day with a sick baby is so hard and I spent the whole day questioning my judgement and it was so nice to have someone else helping with the decision making and taking some of the load.

But then yesterday morning I woke with severe nausea and I knew pretty quickly that I’d caught the virus from Annie. Instantly I felt my bones ache, I felt cold and shivery and was physically unable to get out of bed. Every time I moved I got a wave of nausea and the prospect of a day of parenting just felt impossible. Annie needed her nappy changing, she needed breakfast and I could barely lift my head off the pillow.

Thankfully Grandad came to my rescue and took Annie for the day. It’s the first time I’ve been away from her for a whole day and I felt so guilty. I felt like somehow I should have been able to manage, cope with being sick and look after my baby at the same time. But the reality was I couldn’t even stand without feeling wobbly and I knew physically I couldn’t do it. So, for the first time in 8 months I had an entire day baby free. I spent most of it with my head down the toilet and laying on the bathroom floor, the rest was spent lying in bed shivering with cold sweats and aching bones.

So, to sum up this weekend has pretty much been hellish. I haven’t left the house for over 72 hours and cabin fever has well and truly set in. But now I’m seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and both of us are starting to feel much better and I’m living in hope that we’re able to venture out tomorrow.

What has been lovely though is realising how much support we have and how when my chips are down I have people to call on. In these circumstances it’s all about survival and getting through it and, with the help of friends and family, we have.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s